Wednesday, September 29, 2021

For my Dad

 When he first started

wearing the yellow suit
I walked
across the street
and far behind
my dad 
because 
was
mortified 

My dad was 
attracting attention 
in the way every
teenager wants 
to avoid
In the stadium
he yelled
"Down the middle!!!" 
for every 
offensive play
turning heads in the stands around us
and that
made me want to melt 
into my seat 
too
It took me years 
to appreciate his confidence
to find joy in the joy 
he spread 
as 
the man in the yellow suit

but before he wore that suit
back in my soccer days
on the sidelines
Dad yelled 
"BOOT IT, EMMY!
BOOT IT!" 
always the same cheer
no matter what
he was my biggest fan

When he loved something
he really loved it
he would rhapsodize 
about
a particularly sweet apple
saying
"it's like candy"
and 
I doubt he'd have called himself 
an "animal person" 
but
he loved our cat Chili
and our dog Max
doting on them
scratching behind their ears
rubbing their bellies
and
when they leaned into his hand
he'd say
"you know which side your bread's buttered on"
Those animals 
devoted 
themselves to him
and he to them

He was a 
"gentleman 
and a scholar" with two PhDs
in Hawaiian shirts
and bandanas around his neck
his Martin guitar in hand 
and a pen and pencil in his shirt pocket
and in the Michigan winters
grey and frigid for days
and days
Dad delighted in the cold
and marked his arrivals home 
by saying "Ho ho ho!" 
and 
"I've gotta cold pee!"

The words swirling 
in my head
are
"where do you go when you go"
because
I can't believe 
I won't hear these words 
repeated for as long as i can remember
from his mouth
anymore
I would roll my eyes
and sigh
"Oh dad"
but 
I'll miss them
I'll miss his
optimism
his energy
his morning greetings
his ridiculous nicknames 
his style
his love

he said
"how can I miss you if you don't go away"
and i'm 
always
going
to
miss
him 
but I'm going to try 
to delight
to rhapsodize
to devote myself
like he did
to love
like he did

Written in May 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment